All topics, regardless of topic type, build on the same common
- Topic bodies
- While all topic types have the same elements for title, short description
or abstract, and prolog, they each allow different content in their body.
- Sections and examples
- Sections and examples can be contained only by the body of a topic. They
cannot nest. They can contain block-level elements like paragraphs, phrase-level
elements like API names, or text.
- Block-level elements
- Paragraphs, lists, and tables are kinds of "block" elements. As a class
of content, they can contain other blocks, phrases, or text, though the rules
vary for each structure.
- Phrases and keywords
- Authors can intermix markup with text when they need to identify part
of a paragraph or even part of a sentence as having special significance.
Phrases can usually contain other phrases and keywords as well as text. Keywords
can only contain text.
- Authors can insert images using the image element. Images can be used
at the block level, for example to show screen captures or diagrams, or at
the phrase level, for example to show what icons or toolbar buttons look like.
- Authors can create multimedia for online information using the object
element, for example to display SVG diagrams that can be rotated and explored.
Return to main page.
OASIS DITA Version 1.1 Architectural Specification -- OASIS Standard, 1 August 2007
Copyright © OASIS Open 2005, 2007. All Rights Reserved.