The DITA 1.2 Learning and Training specialization addresses
several key problems facing developers and consumers of instructional
Today's learners confront a complex world with many inter-related
bits and pieces of information, many different ways to access that
information, and a strong need to identify the connection points,
the objectives, and the context for what to know and what to learn.
In this environment, developers of learning and training content
face many challenges, including:
- How to find the context for developing and delivering the right
content to the right person at the right time?
- How to identify the learning goals and objectives?
- Who and how many are the audiences?
- How to pull together and integrate content from many different
sources and content providers?
- How to enable customers and partners to add, integrate, assemble,
and deliver their own content?
These key challenges and issues for delivery of learning
and training content mirror long-standing pain points and requirements
for content delivery in general.
- Content consumers value consistency of content and learning experiences.
- They desire management of content to make it shareable across
and within teams.
- They seek to simplify the information needed to support the complex
- Finally, they want a content development process that can enable
the assembly and delivery of custom content that addresses specific
learning contexts and use cases.